Located in the northern Adirondacks, the Owls Head– Duane region is a hidden gem. Characterized by picturesque lakes and ponds, wilderness rivers, and mountain peaks, this area is little visited and known compared to the more popular areas of the Adirondack Park to the south. The additional hour or more of travel time from the High Peaks or central Adirondacks filters out most would-be visitors from areas outside the Park. This translates into paddling miles of waterways or summiting open mountain peaks that you have all to yourself. The roadways are quiet and the local folks are friendly. If you are in the market for Adirondack land, the real estate prices are much cheaper than the Saranac-Placid, central Adirondack markets. The price for a piece of acreage may be 50-75% cheaper than comparable acreages 1/2 hour to the south.
This is truly a beautiful region. Here are some of the highlights:
– Mountain View-Indian Lakes, Debar Pond, and Deer River Flow offer great boating, canoeing, fishing, and wildlife viewing in very picturesque settings.
– Owls Head, Baldface Mt, and Loon Lake Mts have open summits with breathtaking views of this unspoiled region stretching all the way to the High Peaks.
– The Salmon River, Hatch Brook, Deer River, and the St Regis River offer wilderness paddling experiences and brook trout fishing.
– Debar Mt Wild Forest, Titusville State Forest, and the Santa Clara, Sable Highlands Conservation Easements consists of hundreds of thousands of acres of public land open for hunting, fishing, hiking, and exploration.
– The area is very friendly to snowmobile and ATV use, with easy access to maintained trails.
– Titus Mt Ski Area is nearby, a family oriented ski center.
– The village of Malone is less than 1/2 hour away, with shopping, restaurants, hardware and lumber stores, and a hospital.
– The Canadian cities of Montreal and Ottawa are only about a 2 hour drive.
Please take the time to visit this truly unique and gorgeous region of the Northwoods. If you are interested in Adirondack land for sale or would like someone to introduce you to the area, we would be more than happy to meet you.